My grandma told me that if you make black eyed peas at the beginning of a new year you will have good luck. I decided to put that theory to the test by making this dish on January 3 and then again last week. I’m a little late getting this recipe out, but I hope you enjoy as much as I did!
Here are the ingredients ou will need:
- 1 bag of dry black eyed peas
- 1 carton of low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- Daiya classic blend shredded cheese
- 1 bag of beyond meat fiesta crumbles
- 1 bag frozen collard greens
- 1 onion (yellow or white)
- 1 big sweet potato
- 1 box of gluten free cornbread
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Parsley (for garnish)
- Italian seasoning (for garnish)
*Please note that when it comes to measuring spices I do not measure them. I just sprinkle by eye*
- Rinse ¾ of bag of black eyed peas then put in pot along with the vegetable broth. Cook for approximately 2 hours or until fork tender. (You can soak beans overnight or for at least 2 hours. I forgot to do this)
- While beans are cooking, cube 1 large sweet potato, and dice the onion
- Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions.(I used coconut oil instead of vegan butter and for an egg replacer I used flaxseed meal and water)
- Once beans are done cooking, scoop into a large 9×13 baking pan
- Add cubed sweet potato, canned tomatoes, diced onion, frozen collard greens, fiesta beef crumbles , and vegan cheese
- Add spices and mix until well incorporated
- Spoon on cornbread batter on top and sprinkle Italian seasoning and parsley on top
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cornbread is done and sweet potatoes have softened
You can set your oven to 375-425 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can serve with rice and top with guacamole and salsa. The second time I made this I forgot to buy collard greens and I used green onions instead of regular onions.
This is a hearty meal that the entire family will love. It will last for several days if covered in the fridge. If you are not vegan or gluten free you can substitute the beefless grounds for real ground meat, the daiya cheese for real shredded cheese, and the cornbread for jiffy mix.
Stay blessed. Stay beautiful. Stay you!
Always & Forever
Forever & Always